Fire-King - a bit of history (excerpt)
The earliest Fire-King was the Philbe dinnerware line, introduced in 1940. In 1942, this was transformed into the Sapphire Blue oven-ware, which, along with Jadite, became the signature items of the Fire-King line. The oven-ware was attractive, durable, and inexpensive. The dinnerware was bold, attractive, and multi-purpose. Items were multi-function. A casserole was used to bake, serve, and then store leftovers in the refrigerator. Many pieces were produced that did not have a specific function - like utility trays, bakers, and covered loaf pans. These pieces were marketed in various ways, with the goal being to see each piece as multi-functional.
The History of Anchor Hocking
In 1941 a subsidiary company, Gas Transport, Inc., was founded. This company maintained gas pipelines to provide natural gas to several of the plants. It was also in this year that the closure plant in Long Island City, New York, was moved to Connelsville, Pennsylvania.
West Coast expansion was continued with the purchase of Maywood Glass in 1942. Another new market was penetrated in 1944 when the company entered the toiletries and cosmetic container field with the acquisition of the Baltimore, Maryland based Carr-Lowrey Glass Company.
Growth continued during the decade of the 1950's as the
first unit of the Research and Development Center, the Package Research
Laboratory, was established in Lancaster. In 1954 the expansion continued
into a new geographical area with the addition of the Tropical Glass and
Box Company of Jacksonville, Florida.
For more History of Anchor Hocking visit: www.anchorhocking.com